Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another contest!!!!!!! Mary Kaye Album Review

I've been meaning to do this for a while.. It's been almost a year since the thoroughly awesome Mary Kaye sent me a copy of her album "Spin Your Web" to review. Sorry about the delay Mary.


The album blew me away right off the bat, with it's great lyrics and wide range of musical styles. The opening, and title, (Spin Your Web) track is a great world beat groover. My personal favorite is the proto-punk "Let's Get Dressed".

This album is a pleaser for the whole family. The Curious Boy was very young (~6 months) when we got the album, and so it was hard to judge how much he liked it. As he got a bit older, he started to like it more and more. It is in constant rotation in our house and on car trips now.

My only complaint about the record is on the production side. I find that kids are drawn to music with strong, easily heard vocal melodies. On this record the vocals are a bit too far back in the mix. I have this problem with a lot of kindie-pop music. It probably comes from the indie/alt-rock influence on the artists, and it is a sound that I love. I think kids would better appreciate the music if the vocals were more up front.

That being said, I love this record. I think it is an essential edition to any family's collection. Kids can grow for a long time with "Spin Your Web". The music and lyrics are simple enough on the surface for a toddler, but have the right amount of complexity to keep older kids and adults listening again and again.

YouTube user ralpheadsuz used Mary's beautiful track "Child" in their astonishing entry into the YouTube Autism Challenge. The video is a peek into the life of their six-year old son.



And now the contest part: Comment on this post with the definition of PDD-NOS. Everyone who post a correct answer between now and Friday Monday at midnight (EST) will be entered to win a copy "Spin Your Web". The winner will be chosen at random.


Technorati Tags: ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PDD-ONS = Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified.

I prefer to remain anonymous when it comes to the HiveMind, but if I win, I'll let you know where to send it!

mubeenah said...

yeah to what they said, lol.
Okay, taken from wiki. PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified. This diagnosis is given to those that don't measure up with the other PDD diagnosis. It's milder than autism and is mostly associated with social interaction issues.

I only listened to the song that was on the youtube, she sounds kind of like laurie Berkner. We are going on a crazy road trip so it would be cool if I win.

Anonymous said...

We own the CD. I am someone who needs variety in music, and Spin Your Web delivers! Love it!! Shadow, Blueberry Dreams, Let's Get Dressed... great songs!

Anonymous said...

PDD-ONS = Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified

Anonymous said...

Or, you know, PDD-NOS. My fingers went too fast. Actually, I saw that video a few days ago, linked from somewhere else, and it reminded me how wonderful my nephew is (he has Asperger's), and my own kids, of course.